Uncategorized

The good news is that the airport didn’t ban me…

Some embarrassing stories are meant to be hidden. Others are meant to be shared with the world. I might never be able to show myself at the Richmond airport again, but at least I can amuse others with my misfortune!

My story takes place a few weeks ago. I was flying into Richmond, Virginia and meeting four of my best writer friends for a week long writing retreat. Since I arrived first, I decided to stake out an outlet in the baggage claim so I could get some work done.

When I got my bags, I had to shuffle things around so I could put my carry on roller bag on my main suitcase so there were fewer things to drag behind me, and then I proceeded to the other side of the baggage claim since that was the only open outlet.

Now this outlet was right next to the exit and the automatic door was making the most annoying noise. It got to the point where I had to turn up my music and message the group that we’d have to find somewhere else to sit when waiting for the last arrival.

After about half an hour, I finally got the text that the first two of my party had arrived. I stood up and took out my headphones as I collected my things. It was then that it hit me. The noise wasn’t coming from the automatic door next to me.

The sound was coming from my luggage. The vibrating sound. Coming from my luggage. My luggage was vibrating. My luggage had been vibrating for half an hour.

I tore into my carry on frantically searching until I found my rebellious vibrator to shut the traitor off. (Looking back, I don’t think it was on when I picked up my luggage. However when I was fiddling with the bags after I pulled them off the belt was when the on switch was flipped.)

Lesson learned? Take the batteries out the next time I travel with my personal stress reliever.

PS: To the man who had been sitting a few seats down and then left after a few minutes: Sorry dude!

(Pictured: Me at our rental house during the retreat. I do not have a picture to show how red my cheeks got from embarrassment)

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

Crystal Robbins
    March 11, 2017 at 3:16 pm

That sounds like something that would happen to me. Lol

Olga Pena
    March 11, 2017 at 3:38 pm

You probably thought that somebody was dancing inside your suitcase

Marian
    March 11, 2017 at 3:54 pm

OMG!!!! =D……..LOL……….

Gail O'Toole
    March 11, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Lol. Reminds me of a story. Some friend, who were just married, were heading off for their honeymoon. As a gag, a few of us wrapped a dildo in aluminum foil and hid it in their carry on luggage. As you can guess, they were stopped at security and asked to open their bag and unwrap the item. We all received nasty phone calls not long after. Good thing they forgave us by the time they got back 😂

Eleonor
    March 11, 2017 at 4:25 pm

That was hilarious! And I thought things like that happen only to me….

Earleen
    March 11, 2017 at 5:52 pm

That’s was so funny.

Sewanee
    March 11, 2017 at 7:53 pm

Well at least no one got suspicious about a bomb or something equally suspicious and made a search!

Nancy Dormanski
    March 11, 2017 at 8:15 pm

too Funny – Thank goodness you did not complain to the person next to you about the noise the door was making and have him point out that the noise was coming from your suitcase. Glad you had a great retreat and that you have some stories to tell about the experience. I am sure you can work that experience into an upcoming book.

Geraldine
    March 11, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Sounds like something that could make it into a novel. I’d love to read that embarrassing introduction to a gorgeous alpha!

Melissa Ferryman
      March 12, 2017 at 2:28 am

That’s what I was thinking! It would make a great intro for the female lead to meet the male lead. 😋

Denise
    March 12, 2017 at 12:51 am

I live about an hour north of the Richmond Airport and fly in and out of it several times a year. I will let you know if I see your picture posted anywhere near baggage claim next time I am there! That is so funny. Sorta like singing along to your music forgetting that you have your headset on and can’t hear yourself – not that that has ever happened to me… I think you should tell everyone it was your electric toothbrush, that has happened to me…..

MaryEllen
    March 12, 2017 at 1:41 am

Taking out batteries will be high on my travel list. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa Ferryman
    March 12, 2017 at 2:30 am

At least you know it is durable and the batteries were good. 😉

Marcia Lancaster
    March 12, 2017 at 2:42 am

My electric toothbrush must have been running the whole flight from Portland, Oregon to Orlando, Florida while in the baggage hold of the plane, because when I got to the Embassy Suites my toothbrush was dead. Had put new batteries in two days before. After that, ALL batteries are in ziplock baggies, taped together, and equipment is packed separately. Good Luck! You’re lucky TSA didn’t get a complaint and ask to go through your luggage to check for what was causing the problem. They could have called the bomb squad in to investigate. 😉

Donna Wolz
    March 12, 2017 at 5:17 am

That is too funny!

Marge
    March 12, 2017 at 11:15 am

I read this when I was having my first cup of coffee of the day. It was great to start my day with laughter. Thanks for sharing this with us. 😊

Angela Parker
    March 13, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Oh My God. I’m embarrassed for you. Funny story.